Both pre-congress and post-congress field trips are planned with separate ones designed for lichens
or bryophytes. Costs will be limited by staying in biological research stations and similar facilities (sleeping
bags will be necessary).
- Seattle or Corvallis to Monterey (Asilomar) - 6 days, pre-congress, - jointly led by Bruce McCune (Corvallis) and Katherine Glew (Seattle). Fly into Portland, Oregon (PDX) or Seattle, Washington (SEA) to arrive on July 7. The two groups will merge in Corvallis, Oregon, then on July 9, drive by van toward Monterey, visiting coastal habitats, old conifer forests, serpentine areas, subalpine forests, and Quercus woodlands. Arrive in Monterey on July 13. After the IAL 6 meeting return home from Monterey (MRY) over San Francisco (SFO) or other Californian airport.
Further information concerning the field trip can be found here. The Oregon trip is already fully subscribed!
- Central, coastal California (Point Reyes) – 3 days, pre-congress, jointly led by Larry St. Clair (Provo) and Lawrence Glacy (San Diego). Fly into Monterey (MRY) on July 9 for departure the morning of July 10 from Monterey or to San Francisco (SFO) or Oakland (OAK) by noon on July 10, travel by van to Point Reyes National Park (just north of San Francisco) where we will stay in a youth hostel three nights. A variety of coastal habitats and oak woodlands on the low mountains to the east will be visited on July 11 & 12. Return to Monterey for the conference on July 13 with a stop in the Monterey area. After the IAL 6 meeting return home from Monterey over SFO or other Californian airport.
Further information concerning the field trip can be found here.
The Central, coastal California trip is already fully subscribed!
Because the capacity of the two lichen field trips has been filled, we are considering three additional possibilities:
Further information on the additional field trips can be found here.
- A parallel trip to the initial one from Oregon run by Daphne Stone from Oregon to Asilomar. Inexpensive overnight accommodations may no longer be possible; so the cost may be a little higher.
Also the parallel trip from Oregon to Asilomar is already fully subscribed!
- 1-3 day trip to coastal and mountainous areas south of Asilomar as organized by Linda Geiser.
The trip to coastal and mountainous areas south of Asilomar is already fully subscribed!
Self-guided Loop Trip.
- Santa Cruz County (CA) led by Ken Kellman and Jim Shevock.
Further information on the field trip can be found here.
Directions to reach Forest of Nisene Marks State Park can be found here.